Embrace Winter Wellness: Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe
This shredded kale and Brussels sprout salad is SO good. It's one of my favorites all year round, but I think the cranberries and pecans definitely give it a wintery feel. The base of the salad is shredded kale and Brussels sprouts massaged with lemon juice so these hearty greens are more tender. Here's how I make it:
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 yellow onion, sliced very thin
- 1 large bunch of Lacinato kale, washed and stems removed
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts (you can get these pre-shredded to save a step)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup halved or chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup Parmesan (I like this freshly grated or shaved)
Make the dressing: I like to make my dressing first to give the onions time to marinate. Toss together the ingredients for the dressing by muddling together the minced garlic with sea salt and black pepper using a mortar and pestle (or just a spoon and bowl if you don't have one!) Place muddled garlic and spices into a jar or dressing shaker with olive oil, balsamic and thinly sliced onion. Shake to combine and let marinate.
Shred and massage kale and sprouts: In a food processor shred the Brussels sprouts. Next, shred the kale. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop by hand - just make sure to slice them very thin.) Place in a large salad bowl. Squeeze the lemon juice over the kale and Brussels mixture, sprinkle on a little sea salt and massage with clean hands.
- Add salad mix-ins: Once the kale mixture is massaged, add cranberries, red pepper flakes to the bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad mixture and give it a good stir. Add cheese and stir again. Top with pecans.
Hope you enjoy! xx