Reduce Allergy Symptoms with These Essential Oils
Finally, it’s a beautiful summer day. There’s no sign of rain, just sunshine, warm weather, and the perfect breeze. Everyone is excited and making plans for this perfect weather. Well, correction, everyone is excited about the day -but you. You are currently losing a battle with allergies and despising this seasonal change. Therefore, your plans consist of visiting your neighborhood drug store to buy over-the-counter nasal decongestants, Kleenex tissues, and eye drops. Experiencing allergy symptoms can be dreadful and almost always ruin your chances of having a good day.
Numerous allergy medicines promise you instant relief from itchy eyes, sneezing, a runny nose, nasal congestion, and headaches. However, the side effects of those medicines may make matters worse. Who wants to walk around drowsy all day? Many people that suffer from allergies seek natural ways to help clear their symptoms instead. Several essential oils are significant in helping naturally relieve allergies.
Besides being a natural alternative, essential oils are also preferred because they are versatile and can be used in multiple ways. Here are the best ways to use essential oils to relieve allergy symptoms:
- Diffuser: Placing essential oils in a diffuser and breathing them in through your nose throughout the day is a good way to reduce and prevent allergy symptoms.
- Topical Usage: Massaging essential oils directly onto your skin in specific areas relieve allergy symptoms almost instantly. Examples of these areas are, under or around your nose, temples, forehead area, neck, and chest area.
- Oil Your Tissue: Putting drops of essential oil onto your tissue, then placing the tissue up to your nose, and directly inhaling the oil is a great way to treat severe allergies. This method provides immediate mitigation (pro tip: always carry essential oil tissues with you in public during allergy season)
- Oil Baths: Using essential oils in a hot bath allows you to inhale the oils and have them saturated into your skin. This is the most relaxing method and recommended before bedtime.
Now, let’s dive into the best essential oils that will help you alleviate allergy symptoms and how they work.
- Peppermint Essential Oil: This essential oil has a powerful minty scent that can open up nasal pathways right away and soothe sore and itchy throats.
- Lemon Essential Oil: Lemon essential oil is most common for its anti-bacterial properties. It’s also helpful with respiratory inflammation and clearing mucus.
- Holy Basil Essential Oil: This essential oil clears airways and reduces inflammation from allergy symptoms.
- Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender essential oil works best as a soothing and anti-inflammatory oil for allergies. A lavender essential oil can pacify irritation and help with breathing during allergy seasons.
- Roman Chamomile Essential Oil: This oil is frequently used for treating headaches and easing inflammation.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil: The potent scent of eucalyptus essential oil is great at opening up a clogged respiratory system. It is also great for soothing areas that may be irritated from allergies.
An important thing to note about using essential oils is that they are derived from plants and make cause some allergies in people to flare up. Luckily, you have options. I’ve only listed the best six essential oils, however, there are many more that can help relieve allergy symptoms. So, start trying some out and I wish you the best of luck during this dreadful allergy season.